Luxuriating in a Turn-of-the-Century Tribute to Chicago History
In the 1600s, explorers and missionaries Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet were among the first individuals to recognize the strategically advantageous location near the center of North America of what would become Chicago. Some two hundred years later, in 1848, the construction of the canal creating an all-water shipping route from the Atlantic to the Gulf of Mexico and the completion of a Chicago terminus to the railroad cemented the rapidly growing city’s place as a center of commerce. The Marquette Building, constructed in 1895, represents one of the finest examples of the Chicago school of architecture. Its then-innovative Chicago windows allowed both fresh air and natural light to reach its interiors in an era before modern electricity or air conditioning. The sixteen-story structure includes a bank of fast elevators and an interior splashed out in Carrara marble imported from Italy, maximizing the building’s appeal to potential tenants. Meticulously crafted mosaics from the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company represent scenes from the life of Jacques Marquette.